I’ve tried to answer the most Freguently Asked Questions I’m asked on facebook and emails.
I hope you can find the information you need…if not please send me an e-mail on knit@wwkipday 🙂
World Wide Knit in Public Day is the largest Knitter run event in the world. It started in 2005 and is now celebrated in 57 different countries (2016). The mission is: “Better Living through stitching together” !
World Wide Knit in Public Day is the largest Knitter run event in the world. It started in 2005 and is now celebrated in 57 different countries (2016).
The mission is: “Better Living through stitching together” !
A KIP is a Knit-in-Public event. Each local event is put together by a volunteer (host) or a group of volunteers.
Lets make the world smaller and warmer
– Is it for knitters only?
While the origin of the name denotes that it’s all about knitting, over the years it has become an inclusive event for all fiber lovers
WWKIPDAY is celebrated on the second saturday in June…that means:
Saturday the 10th of June 2017
Saturday the 9th of June 2018
Join as a host
You can either host your own event in a local spot in your town. The registration for hosting a KIP opens in January..and it will be here you can register: http://www.wwkipday.com/host-a-kip/
Join as a guest
– or you can find a KIP to join near you. On this page http://www.wwkipday.com/find-a-kip/ you can find a KIP near you when the KIP’s are published. From January 2017 there will be new KIP’s added every day 🙂
WWKIPDAY can be the start of your own knitting group in your local area
I’m a beginner knitter…can I host a KIP event?
Yes of course. That’s a way to meet other knitters in your local area and maybe you can start your own knitting group.
Before registration of your KIP:
- Find a place in your town where it could be nice to be.
- What do you want to do on the day…sit on a blanket and just knit or do you want to knit for charity, or swap yarn or…a knit quiz?
- Be sure that the place is available…if it’s on a cafe get permission from the owner etc.
Now you are ready for registration:
Now you can register your KIP event here: http://www.wwkipday.com/host-a-kip/
- Read the terms for registration before you register..
- After registration you will receive an e-mail with your KIP nr. and further information and links to download fliers, press materiel etc. You need your KIPnr if you need to make changes to your KIP.
- You will be on the special VIP host-maillist of the year for insider information…..a special treat 🙂
Both KIP events and participating countries has increased (almost) every year since it all started in 2005.
2005: 25 local KIPs
2006: 70 local KIPs
2007: 200 KIPs
2008: 800 KIPS around the world
2009: 751 KIP’s in 41 countris
2010 – 2014: (I am stilling counting :-)..)
2015: 882 KIPs in 56 countries
2016: 1015 KIPs in 57 countries …woohoooo!!